Hossein is a partner in forensic investigation services, specialising in advising on accounting and audit issues in arbitrations, High Court actions and mediations, investigations, regulatory inquiries and commercial disputes.
Hossein has been a partner in Grant Thornton or RSM Robson Rhodes, the firm it merged with, since 1991. He headed RSM Robson Rhodes' forensic unit having joined that firm in 1978. Hossein has acted as expert, inspector, or investigator adviser in financial services, construction, technology, defence, energy and automotive disputes for major companies and institutions, governments, regulators and prosecutors. His assignments have included: Corporation of Lloyd's, HIH Insurance of Australia, Independent Insurance, Barings, DeLorean, Magnet, BCCI, Wallace Smith Trust Bank, IPB Post Bank in Czech Republic, Lloyd's Syndicates, a review of seven Indonesian Banks following the Asian crisis, the Maxwell pension funds and Eagle Trust.
Recent assignments include:
- Appointment as advisor to an Icelandic bank in relation to investigation of major exposures and treasury transactions for the purposes of maximising recovery;
- Appointment as reporting accountant to review the offshore custody and administration functions of an international bank;
- Expert on quantum of claims arising from the Buncefield Refinery explosion;
- Expert for the Serious Fraud Office in relation to loss of substantial investment funds raised from international investors;
- Expert advisor to an investment bank in relation to a fund management dispute in New York;
- Advised an investment bank in relation to a dispute concerning a €750 million bond issue, structured finance products and derivative contracts;
- Advisor in two international arbitrations in the Hague and expert in an international arbitration involving a major automotive sale and purchase dispute;
- expert in an audit negligence case following substantial losses arising from option trading in a Hong Kong fund;
- Appointed to monitor the implementation of EU and UN sanctions against three UK banks;
- Appointment as Inspector by an offshore regulator to investigate corporate governance and the affairs of certain listed closed end investment funds, brokers and a fund manager;
- Advising the Department of Health on cancellation of PFI contracts.
Hossein has also given expert evidence on quantum issues, accounting and auditing issues in professional negligence cases involving accountants, auditors, solicitors, valuers, investment bankers, architects, actuaries, surveyors and construction engineers.
Hossein's expertise covers:
- Expert accounting and professional indemnity
- Regulatory inquiries and fraud investigations
- Money laundering and asset tracing
- Commercial disputes including international arbitration, expert determination, mediation and high court cases