I have worked in, and consulted to, the general insurance industry for nearly 25 years. I focus on the provision of practical advice to enable clients to make informed management decisions in financial and operational matters. Prior to joining Grant Thornton in 2006, I was the Chief Actuary at a general insurance company.
My extensive experience in the general insurance sector includes the following:
- Establishing and leading in-house actuarial functions
- Solvency II
- Developing capital models
- Estimating claims reserves
- Pricing of portfolios and individual risks
- Fulfilling the role of the Independent Expert on Part VII transfers
- Section 166 Skilled Person reviews
- Actuarial due diligence for mergers and acquisitions
- Fulfilling the role of the Scheme Actuary on Schemes of Arrangement
- Developing and implementing management information systems
- Providing advice and guidance to boards and senior management teams
I currently sit on both the Council and the Management Board of the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries. I am also a member of the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries' General Insurance Board. In addition, I was formerly Chairman of the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries' General Insurance Education and CPD Committee and am a former member of its Education Board , Education Committee, and General Insurance Reserving Oversight Committee.
I am happily married. I used to have hobbies but now I have two daughters instead!
- Fellow of the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries
- Fellow of the Society of Actuaries in Ireland