Grant Thornton's National Tax Investigations team is a truly national team in the tax risk and investigation management market. This means that we use the right expert, with the right specialist knowledge to assist you, wherever you may be located.
Our experts travel throughout the UK and world wide to advise, represent and defend our clients.
Our experts have a wealth of experience in dealing with HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) tax enquiries, including:
- Specialist Investigations (SI - formerly SCI) tax and VAT enquiries, including technical issues (Code of Practice 8 and 9)
- Civil Investigation of Fraud (CIF) tax and VAT enquires
- Voluntary disclosures
- High Net Worth Unit/ Expatriate Team enquiries, including those related to residence/domicile or cross border and offshore issues
- Tax risk management for large corporates
- HMRC formal information powers (eg Taxes Management Act 1970 Section 20 notices)
- Defence of tax mitigation and avoidance schemes
- Prosecution defence including experienced expert witness
- PAYE/NIC, employment status and construction industry related matters
- 'Time to pay' arrangements with HMRC Debt Management Units
- Management of raids by HMRC and other regulatory authorities
Our experts are skilled in negotiating manageable settlements with HMRC across all taxes including, but not limited to, income tax, corporation tax, capital gains tax, VAT and inheritance tax.
Our team consists of ex-HMRC senior investigators (from local office to SI), and accountants who are supported by a team of highly qualified graduates.
HMRC current projects include close scrutiny to find undisclosed rental income from buy-to-let properties and undeclared offshore bank accounts. If you have concerns about either of these projects, please contact one of our experts.
Supporting other professionals
We also offer a tax investigation support service, primarily for accountants, solicitors and other professionals. The service is intended to support the advisor's relationship with the client, rather than being in conflict with it. Our team of tax investigation specialists are always available for an initial consultation, either by phone or personal meeting, on a no-obligation basis.
'Best tax investigations team'
LexisNexis Taxation Awards 2010